Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What's in My Speech BIn: January 2014

With the new year, I wanted to create a new series called What's in my Speech Bin.  I did a post awhile ago describing how I organize my seasonal/monthly materials here.  Each month I will post a little sneak peek of some of the materials I keep in my monthly bins.  I just put these bins together last spring, so I am anxious to add more materials as the time goes on!  So, let's start out with January!




I won't go into too much detail on how I use these in therapy, but here is a brief overview:

1.  Snowman Stacker:  I have used this to teach size concepts, as well as following directions.  It is also a great reinforcer for articulation (say ten words, stack one part of the snowman).

2.  The Snowy Day:  I cannot give enough praises to this book.  It is great and simple and classic.  It's great for introducing some winter vocabulary, cause and effect, and for beginning narratives.

3.  Penguin Popper:  This is such a motivating tool for articulation kids.  In the past, I have made a target on my whiteboard (each part of the target is assigned points) and the children try to aim for the center.  If the hit the center, they earn 10 points and have to say their target word ten times, if they hit the first ring they earn eight points and say the word eight times, etc.

4.  Snowmen at Night: Following reading this story, I have had kids work on describing by drawing their own snowman and coming up with adjectives to describe.  We have also worked on story telling and narratives by telling a story about what their snowman does at night when no one is watching!

5.  The Mitten:  Anyone who reads this book knows it is great for sequencing!

6.  Fake Snow:  The kind I bought was actually sold out, so I put a link to some more on amazon (or learn to make your own here).  I have made fake snow in a bucket and have hidden objects in there for describing or articulation.  I have also used fake snow while reading The Snowy Day and have the kids make different kinds of tracks in the snow to keep them engaged in the story, as well as learn winter vocabulary (make snowman out of the snow, snow angels, tracks, hills, etc).

What are some of  your favorite seasonal activities and materials for January?

Happy Speeching!

-Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment