Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Snowy Day and Playing with Snow!


I mentioned both The Snowy Day and the Insta-Snow in my last post, What's in my Speech Bin: January, and wanted to share a little more about it.

I made the insta-snow in a container (that I wish was a little bigger and deeper because it can get a little messy with younger kiddos)  that I could carry from school to school.  I think the whole jar of the insta-snow was approximately $13.00 and I barely scrapped the top of it when I made this container of snow, so I'm sure it will last a long time!

I made the snow prior to my speech groups, but you could work on predicting and guessing by having students guess what will happen when you add the water to the powder.

While we read, we worked on verbs and cause and effect by making tracks with our fingers and pencils with our toes pointing out, our toes pointing in, and while dragging our toes (or our finger tips in this case) and talked about what happened when we did each of those.  If you wanted to be really authentic you could go walk out in the snow or put real snow in a container and I'm sure it would work just fine!  The only thing that is bad with this snow and is that you can't form it into balls or pack it, so we didn't get to make snowballs or angels like in the story!

I also hid winter vocabulary cards in the snow for my younger students and had them dig through the snow to find them.  As long as the cards are laminated, they should not be ruined, but objects probably would work better.  Some of the vocabulary we targeted included: frost, snow, snowman, snowflake, storm, ice, freezing, snow angel, snow clothing (hats, mittens, snowpants, etc).  

The kids are so motivated to play in the "snow" so I would be curious if others have found other ways to incorporate this into speech!

Happy Speeching!

-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment