Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

While I was on maternity leave, I had posted about my Very Hungry Caterpillar speech and language unit.  Now that I'm back into action, I was able to implement my materials!

The kids loved the directions and sequencing activity where they place the food cards into the caterpillars mouth.  I implemented this activity in several ways.  During the books, I had them feed the caterpillar as we read to keep them engaged and to brush up on their listening skills.  After the book, we practiced following directions while feeding the caterpillar.  For instance, I would give directions, such as: "Feed the caterpillar one apple after feeding him the pears."  My lower functioning students worked on labeling while feeding the caterpillar and requesting using the phrase, "I want (one apple)."  Note:  Kids love when you make the munching sound to mimick the caterpillar eating.  

However, some of my kids really needed something tangible and concrete to be interested and engaged.  Cue the panty hoes, googly eyes. and play food...




Before you ask, yes, that is a fish in the picture.  No, the Very Hungry Caterpillar did not eat a fish.  However, one of my kiddos would not come to speech without it today, so this particular caterpillar had a hankering for fish this morning.

It's not pretty, and it  may look more like a worm, not to mention that I am technically feeding the caterpillar food through his bum rather than his mouth, but the kids love it.  The tangible objects really keep them engaged and they love that they can see the food!  Not to mention it addresses language skills, such as labeling/vocabulary, requesting, sequencing, and directives.

Feels good to be back working with the kids, especially with fun activities like this!

-Courtney
 

No comments:

Post a Comment