Wednesday, April 3, 2013

My Go-To Games

Didn't I just create a post about trying to steer away from games?  I did.  So, this post is a little contradictory, but there are a handful of games that I use that are really quick and don't take the attention away from producing and practicing target speech sounds.  


 
I found this game at a novelty store in Galena, IL randomly with my good SLP friend, Lauren who just so happens to blog over at Speech-Language Love.  My kids love this game!  One way I use it is by drawing a target on my white board and assigning a number of productions the kids must produce when they shoot.  For example, the center is three productions, the middle ring is five productions, the outer ring is eight productions, and anything outside of that is ten productions.  The only down side is I have already lost one of my balls to this game and I died a little bit inside.  Someday when I'm cleaning out my room I'm sure I'll find it.  Also, if you're not a fan of penguins, they have other animals that can be purchased here.


 
I love this game because it's simple, quick, and easy.  I usually have kids produce at least ten target sounds, if not more, and then we do three rounds of spot it, which literally takes about five seconds.  In this game, each player has one card and there is a pile of cards in the middle with the top card flipped up.  Each card has a set of several small pictures on it and each card also has one picture that matches another card.  The first player to spot their matching picture is supposed to yell "spot it!" and then the take the card and put it on top of their deck.  During speech, I usually have students yell out the name of the matching picture so it gives more of an opportunity to practice their target sound when appropriate, unless they are working on /sp/, then "spot it" is perfect!.  There is also an easier version for younger kids called Spot It Jr.

Hungry Hungry Hippos App for iPad

This game is also a really quick one for the kiddos, and also does not make all the obnoxious noise that the original game does.  I like to use this game after practice of target sounds in groups because up to four players can play at once.  One kids have mastered a certain target word, I have them repeat that practice word over and over while they playing the game to help with generalization across activities and actions.  I got this app for free on my iPad from the app store.


 
If you have already clicked on the link to this game, don't freak out.  I did not pay $175.00 for this game.  They do not make this version of Cariboo anymore, so I found one and bought it off of ebay.  I believe they also have a different and newer version of this game that can be found at Target or Walmart.  In this game, there are pictures of shapes/colors on flip lids that you can open with a key.  The goal is to find the six balls that are under the various flip lids in order to open the treasure chest.  In my case, I have made several sets of stimuli cards to replace the color/shape cards with target sounds.  I have my students practice the word/phrase several times before they can check under the flip lid.  I also will sometimes put candy, like Smarties, in the treasure chest so they get an extra surprise when they find all the balls!

What are your favorite quick and easy games for speech?


 




No comments:

Post a Comment