Friday, May 10, 2013

The Grouchy Ladybug

Happy Friday!  Next week's preschool theme for speech is...The Grouchy Ladybug by Eric Carle!  I am a huge fan of Eric Carle and was so excited to create an expressive and receptive language unit around this book.  Oh, the possibilities!

The unit I created targets many different language skills, such as: vocabulary, sequencing, writing/grammar, turn taking, categorizing, following directions, and answering questions.

Here is just a small preview of what is included in the unit:




 
My favorite activity in this unit is the ladybug snack.  "Cooking" is something I did a lot with my clients as a grad student since it is such a great real life application that can target sequencing, following directions, and even expressive language if you have the child tell how they made it, but I haven't done much of it since I've been in the working word..  Not to mention fun activities like cooking can get a LOT of language out of some of the quieter kids.  Cooking in a group is also a great opportunity to work on requesting (have the child request materials) and turn taking.  You can throw in some problem solving skills by purposely forgetting a step or ingredient to have your kids correct you.

Check out this unit at my TeachersPayTeachers store here!

-Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment